Plants Horticulture Apprentice (Lacock)
Whitehall Garden Centre, a family run and award-winning business since 1968 creates delightful experiences for garden lovers, foodies and children of all ages.
As the Plants Horticulture Apprentice at Whitehall, we will share with you our experience and knowledge to develop you as an expert member of the team. The position will involve all aspects of horticulture including growing, plant nutrition, plant management, merchandising and display as well as customer advice and service.
Full Time days of work over a 2 week rolling rota are as follows;
- Week 1, 6 days working with a rest day during the week
- Week 2, 4 days working with a rest day during the week plus rest days on Saturday and Sunday
Job roles and responsibilities:
- Deliver excellent customer service, at all time
- Every customer is greeted and offered assistance, and dealt with courteously
- Customers are directed to the appropriate area of the centre
- Product queries are answered or referred to the appropriate department
- Adhere to standards of appearance are maintained
- Maintains a harmonious and cooperative relationship with staff, managers and third parties
- Monitoring and maintaining health and safety
- Maintain and develop personal performance
- Establishing plants and or seeds in soil
- Preparing and transporting plants and resources
- Use and maintain non-powered and hand held powered tools and equipment
- Remove unwanted plant growth to maintain development
- Load and unload physical resources within the work area
- Transport physical resources within the work area
- Maintaining and grow plants indoors and outdoors
- Prepare and cultivate sites ready for planting
- Help maintain plant displays
- Learn about plant nutrition and give advice
- Desired qualifications
- Minimum Entry GCSE grade E in Maths and English.
- All applicants will be required to pass initial assessments in Maths and English.
- May lead to permanent employment for the right candidate on completion of the apprenticeship.
Things to consider:
- The Competence and Knowledge Elements will be assessed in the workplace using evidence to build a portfolio.
- You will attend a regular Wednesday during term time to Wiltshire College (Lackham Campus) to support your horticulture learning and development.
- Functional Skills will generally be delivered at our Wiltshire College Lackham campus.
- A mixture of on and off the job training provides a variety of learning opportunities across the whole programme.
- College Attendance every Friday during term time, if required for functional skills.
Only applicants successfully shortlisted for interviews will be contacted