We are Whitehall Garden Centre Limited (company number: 04981754) of Whitehall Garden Centres, Lacock, Chippenham, Wiltshire SN15 2LZ. We act as data controller in respect of your personal data, you can contact us at our head office by writing to us at the above address, calling us on 01249 730204 or emailing us at email@example.com. We operate the website www.whitehallgardencentre.co.uk (website).
We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use your personal data and to meeting our data protection obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
This notice sets out how we will use your personal data when you use our website services, shop with us, complete any in-store forms and register to become part of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs. Please read this notice before browsing our website, completing a purchase with us, completing any in-store form and/or registering to be a member of our Loyalty clubs. We recommend you print a copy of this policy for future reference (although a copy will always be available on our website).
We collect the following personal data about you:
- Your IP address when you browse our website.
- Your name, email address, address, phone number and payment details for the purpose of completing a purchase on our website and/or for creating an account with us.
- The information you provide to us if you register to become part of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs.
- Where you are a member of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs we may also collect information about your purchase history (using your club card and account) and information generated from our own analysis of the information you have provided to us and your purchase history.
- The information you provide to us and which we generate about you when you make an enquiry or complaint with us.
- In addition to the above personal data we may also collect the following personal data about you when you are visiting us in-store:
- We may collect your name and contact details if you choose to provide these to us when completing a customer comment form.
- We operate CCTV for security and health and safety reasons and you may be captured on this CCTV.
- We operate a vehicle registration monitoring system which may capture an image of you along with your vehicle registration plate on entry to an exit from our car park.
- We occasionally take videos and photos in-store for use on our website, publications and social media but, unless you have specifically consented, you will never be the sole focus of these images. If you do see an image of you which we have taken which you would like us to remove from the relevant media and stop using, please contact us to let us know using the details set out above.
We may use your personal data in the following ways:
- We may use your IP address to analyse how you engage with us (on our website and through our email communications) to assist us in improving our website and review the effectiveness of our communications.
- Where you have made a purchase with us, we will use this information to supply the products/services you have requested, to process your payment and to provide our customer services and related administrative support to you.
- Where you are a member of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs to provide membership benefits to you and we may use your name, address, phone number and/or email address to send you marketing communications by your preferred contact method about our products, services and events which we feel may be of interest to you (which may include products or services promoted by our in-store retail partners and carefully selected third parties).
- Where you are a member of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs, we may use your address, date of birth and purchase history (including the types of products and services you purchase, the amount you spend with us, the time of year you shop and how you shop (online or in person)) to create a profile of you and your spending habits to assist us in sending to you relevant communications and information based on our understanding of your preferences and so we improve our customers’ experience.
- Where you have made an enquiry or complaint, we will use this information to deal with your enquiry or complaint and provide our services to you.
- Where you have provided your personal data to us on a comment form completed by you, we may use this information to contact you to discuss your comments and feedback.
Our lawful basis for processing your personal data:
- We process your IP address on the basis of our legitimate interests of keeping our website up to date and relevant, developing our business and informing our marketing strategy.
- We process your personal data which you provide to us when making a purchase or for an enquiry/complaint to perform our contract with you. If you opt to become a member of the Whitehall Garden or Little Acorn, clubs please also see below.
- We process your personal data as a member of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs on the basis of our legitimate interests of keeping in contact with our customers, keeping our customers up to date with our news, offers and events, promoting our products, services and events (on the basis of your mailing preferences) and understanding our customers’ spending habits to assist us in improving our centre and sales offering.
- We process any personal data you provide to us on comment forms in store on the basis of our legitimate interests of improving our customer service and understanding your complaints, concerns and feedback in respect of the service we provide.
- We operate CCTV and vehicle recognition technology on the basis of our legitimate interests of crime prevention and providing a safe and secure environment for our customers and colleagues.
Who has access to your personal data?
We do not transfer any of your personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
We will share some of your personal data with selected third parties. This will include our marketing agencies (who carry out the profiling referred to above on our behalf), our email platform provider, credit reference agencies, our product delivery agents, our payment providers and third parties who operate data storage/management systems on our behalf. Full details of such third parties can be provided on request (using the contact details below).
We will share your personal information if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply the agreements concerning you (including agreements between you and us).
You may opt-out of receiving communications at any time. If you would like us to stop sending you Garden or Little Acorn communications and/or no longer wish to be a Garden or Little Acorn club member, you can let us know by using the contact details set out above or following the “opt out/unsubscribe” option in each of our communications.
We will retain and process your personal data as set out above as follows:
- We will retain your IP address for such period as you are a member of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs, following which it shall be deleted.
- Where you have provided payment details for the purpose of completing a purchase with us, we will keep such details for five years (which is the length of our warranty period for certain plants and is the longest warranty period we provide) although we will only retain such payment details as are necessary for this purpose for the full period.
- Where you have registered for an account with us, we will keep such personal data for such time as you wish to continue to hold an account with us.
- If you are a member of our Garden or Little Acorn clubs, for such time as you remain a member of The Whitehall Garden or Little Acorn clubs. We may de-activate your membership in the event that you do not engage for more than 12 months (this means either making an online or in-store purchase or opening any of our emails). Once your membership has been de-activated we will retain your data for three years for record keeping and reference purposes only. In the event that you wish to re-activate your membership, please contact us to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where you have provided your personal details whilst completing an in store comment card, we will keep such details for so long as required to process your comments and investigate/review any issues arising from these. This will generally be not more than one month following collection of the personal data.
How do we keep your personal information safe?
We have put in place robust technical measures to protect the security of your information. Details of these measures are available on request.
Third parties will only process your personal data on our instructions and where they have agreed to treat the information confidentially and to keep it secure
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed.
In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and where they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
You have the following rights in respect of the personal data we hold about you:
- a right of access to such data; any access request is free of charge and we will aim to respond within one month, unless the request is particularly complex in which case it may take longer and we will keep you informed in this regard. If the request is unfounded excessive we may refuse to comply with the request or if additional copies are required we may make a reasonable charge.
- a right to object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing you damage or distress;
- a right to prevent processing for direct marketing;
- a right to object to our profiling of you;
- a right to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- A right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of relevant data protection legislation.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the details set out below.
You have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). We can be contacted at the above address and telephone number and by email to: email@example.com. Please contact us before lodging a complaint with the ICO.
Cookies are small amounts of information which we store on your computer. Unless you have indicated your objection when disclosing your details to us, our system will issue cookies to your computer when you log on to the site. Cookies make it easier for you to log on to and use the site during future visits. They also allow us to monitor website traffic and to personalise the content of the site for you. You may set up your computer to reject cookies although, in that case, you may not be able to use certain features on our site. If you do not wish to receive cookies in the future, please let us know.
If you do not know what cookies are, or how to control or delete them, then we recommend you visit http://www.aboutcookies.org for detailed guidance.
Third party links
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites liked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. When you leave our Internet Services, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.